IRVING, Texas – As the 2018-19 school year approaches, let’s look back at highlights and achievements from the previous year. The University of Dallas men’s soccer team headlined the fall sports with its first ever trip to the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) Championship.
Several players across the UD programs netted postseason accolades both on the competitive field and in the classroom with impressive GPAs.
Facility upgrades began as well.
See below a bulleted list of notable moments in 2017-18:
- Men’s Soccer defeated No. 4 Trinity University, 3-2 (OT) to snap the Tigers NCAA Division III record 47-game home winning streak.
- Men’s Soccer topped Southwestern University in SCAC Semifinal match to advance to first championship game since joining the league.
- Spencer Levi shattered men’s basketball single-game record by swatting nine blocks (which had matched the team single-game record prior).
- Levi ranked among the top 10 in the NCAA most of the campaign for field goal percentage, rebounds-per-game, and blocks-per-game.
- Levi claimed National and South Regional d3hoops.com Rookie of the Year Awards.
- Pair of Crusaders, Nat Kajiwara and Levi, garnered SCAC Newcomer of the Year Honors.
- Michelle DeCoud became the 8th player in the program to accomplish registering at least 1,000 points and 500 rebounds for her career.
- Diana Hassink captured the longest Shot Put throw among SCAC competitors with her 1st place and record-breaking mark at the Conference Championship.
- Kevin McGuirk (400m Hurdles), Joseph Kilmer (Mile), Anna Brunk (Pole Vault), and Hannah Green (Pole Vault) also notched track and field records this spring.
- Robby Evans shot a UD men's golf low round record 65 in the third round to rally back and win the Alamo City Classic.
- Lexi Leite scored her 100th career goal in the final match of the Dallas women's lacrosse season to become just the third player in the program to reach that feat.
- Nathan Patton won the SCAC batting title with a career-high .450 clip.
- Patton secured a spot in the ABCA/Rawlings NCAA Division III West All-Region Third Team.
- There were eight United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) All-Americans.
- 89 Crusaders qualified for the SCAC Academic Honor Roll.
- 14 student-athletes were selected to the USCAA National All-Academic Team, which requires a 3.5 GPA or higher.
- Track and Field teams won USTFCCCA All-Academic Honors.
- Renovations for the new soccer field began this summer. A 10-year contract signed with Solar Soccer Club initiated the project that will include both the competition field and practice field having lights, as well as redone surfaces on each.
- The UD Booster Club helped fund a new clubhouse for the UD baseball team. This facility will serve as a locker room, film room, and coaches offices next season.
- Stu Brown (Men’s Soccer), Eric Creeger (Men’s Basketball), and Danielle Fuchs (Volleyball) were inducted into the 2017 University of Dallas Athletics Hall of Fame.
- Men’s Soccer player Trae Hampton earned UD Scholar Athlete of the Year a 3rd consecutive time. His 3.982 GPA earned him the distinction.
- Men’s Basketball Head Coach Jarred Samples eclipsed 100 career wins. He is the second coach from that program to accomplish the feat, and enters this season a victory away (110) from tying the all-time most.