Livestats (Game 2)
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
Softball Twitter: @UDallasSoftball
Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
The University of Dallas softball team wraps up a season-long, 10-game homestand on Saturday with Southwestern Assemblies of God University. First pitch is at 12 p.m. of the twinbill. Dallas is 1-7 overall and coming off two setbacks against No. 18 (at the time) University of Texas at Dallas. Both decisions were five-innings as UD fell 8-0 and 10-2 in the pair of contests.
- The Crusaders are 1-3 against programs part of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). That lone win was UD's first last Sunday against Jarvis Christian College (3-2).
- Jade Miller (Plano, Texas) ranks 2nd in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) and United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) in batting average with a .409-clip. Her pair of homers are tied 2nd in both leagues.
- Miller did snap a six-game hitting streak Tuesday, but did pick another up in the nightcap while also scoring her team-high 5th run.
- Dallas has been good on the bases with 17 steals. Four-of-top-five places in USCAA belong to Crusaders. Miller (5) is tied for the top. Allie Driskill (Houston, Texas) follows with three. Shannon Sheeley (Cedar Hill, Texas), Melanie Savala (Bryan, Texas), and Mackenzie Tano (Wylie, Texas) have two apiece to round out the next portion of spots.
- Katie Lee (Houston, Texas) ranks first in the USCAA for strikeouts thrown with 14. She is also the team leader in innings pitched with 24.2. Lauren Galvan (Byran, Texas) follows in the circle with 13.2 innings thrown.
SCOUTING THE LIONS
- Southwestern Assemblies of God is 7-11 overall.
- The Lions are in the midst of a six-game road trip. All schools involved are members of the SCAC. The stint started with two losses at Schreiner University (10-2, 8-6). On Thursday, SAGU split at Centenary College (L, 5-3; W, 6-2 8 inn.).
- Overall, the Lions are 3-3 against SCAC foes this spring having split in openers at Austin College (W, 4-1; L, 18-16).
- Headlining SAGU's offense is Cheyenne Fults with a .383 batting average, 18 hits, four doubles, and 11 RBI.
- Baylee Mcbrannon (15), Kristin Stringer (14), Destinee Vindiola (14), and Kayla Milstead (12) round out the hitters in double-digits.
- Milstead has blasted two homers as has Fults.
- Baylee Mcbrannon has swiped half of SAGU's 24 bases with 12 in 12 tries. SAGU has only been caught stealing four times.
- Rachel Ray has been strong in the circle going 5-2 with a 2.07 ERA. She has 53 strikeouts in 50.2 innings.
- Hannah Lee has garnered 45.1 innings.
- Dallas is 7-7 in the overall series against the Lions. Matchups date back to 2013 when the programs first started meeting on the diamond.
- In 2016, the Crusaders managed a sweep in two games by blanking SAGU 10-0 through six innings. In game two, UD needed a comeback in the last inning and got it on a walk-off from Allison Kotlar.
- Lee combined for seven innings and earned the winning decision in both contests. She combined for no runs allowed and fanned five.
- Alexandria Compte (Houston, Texas) went yard in game two.
After a long stretch at home, Dallas embarks on a lengthy road trip in March until the 25th. The Crusaders will play on Mar. 8 at LeTourneau University for a doubleheader at 5 p.m. Next weekend on the 11th and 12, UD opens SCAC play with a four-game series at Trinity University. The road trip ends over Spring Break with four contests at Clermont, Florida, in "The Spring Games."