HOW TO FOLLOW
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Softball Twitter: @UDallasSoftball
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Softball Facebook: University of Dallas Softball
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Softball Instagram: udallas_softball
Dates/Times: April 16 (5:00 PM) (DH)
Opponent: LeTourneau University
Records: Dallas (7-25), LeTourneau (20-13)
Location: Longview, Texas, Joyce Family Athletic Village
The University of Dallas softball team gained a week-long break after rallying from a 5-0 deficit with a six-run fifth inning to win over conference opponent, Austin College, to secure a crucial split on Senior Day. After dropping the first game 10-8, the Crusaders picked up their second win in Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) play.
Weather cancelled the first doubleheader between the teams, and this past weekend washed out a doubleheader for Austin College versus Southwestern University. The Pirates picked up two wins over the 'Roos on Friday, which ended their season at 1-30 and 1-19 in SCAC play.
Thus, Dallas clinched the sixth and final seed in the SCAC Tournament hosted at Centenary College on April 26-28.
In the meantime, the Crusaders will wrap up their non-conference play this regular season at LeTourneau University on Tuesday.
- The Crusaders are 5-9 in games outside of league play.
- Julie Duenas (Houston, Texas) is hitting a team-leading .422 batting average. She is also tops on the team with 43 hits, four homers, and 20 RBI. Her 10-game, hit-streak ended last outing.
- Caitlyn Stevenson (Henderson, Nev.) and Liz Cordova (Oklahoma City, Okla.) form a top trio hitting .312 and .286, respectively. Stevenson is the other player eclipsing 30 hits with 34. Cordova has driven in 16 runs for second on the team.
- Bri Torres (Cypress, Texas) has drawn 11 walks to lead the team and is only player in double-digits.
BY THE NUMBERS
- All-Time Series: UD is 12-18
- Dallas split last year's twinbill in Irving winning 3-2 and falling 10-8.
- In the triumph, Stevenson and Duenas recorded a hit and run. Maggie Watts (Arcadia, Texas) logged six innings in the start, while Emily Martin (San Jose, Calif.) worked a scoreless seventh to earn the save.
- The Crusaders have dropped three in a row in Longview dating to 2015. UD blanked the Yellowjackets, 7-0, in the 2015 season opener there.
A LOOK AT THE YELLOWJACKETS
- LeTourneau plays spectacular at home, going 12-2 at the friendly confines.
- On a three-game winning streak after sweeping UT-Dallas in American Southwest Conference (ASC) play this past weekend (2-1, 9-4, 5-3).
- Hayden Parker leads the team with 40 hits, 10 doubles, and seven home runs. She has plated a team-high 39 runs.
- Macey Mize has scored 31 runs, with the next highest over 10 away. She and Kiley Banks are tied for the team-lead in stolen bases with 13 each.
- A trio of pitchers have worked to all-but six batters this season. Bailey Richey heads the group with 88.2 innings in 21 appearances (18 starts). She is 8-2 with a 3.79 ERA to go with 73 strikeouts. Leigh Luker (66 IP) and Samantha Akers (64.1 IP) have combined for the other 12 wins.
Dallas wraps up the regular season with a conference series at Southwestern University on Apr. 19-20. The four-game series has game ones of the doubleheaders slated to begin at 1 p.m. on Friday and 12 p.m. on Saturday.