HOW TO FOLLOW
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
Dates: April 28th (9 innings) (DH) | April 29th (9 innings)
Times: April 28th 12 p.m. (DH) | April 29th starts at 12 p.m.
Opponent: Schreiner University
Records: Schreiner University (14-23, 3-12 SCAC) | Dallas (12-23, 2-13 SCAC)
Location: Irving, Texas, Crusader Field
The University of Dallas baseball team closes out the regular season at the friendly confines this weekend versus Schreiner University. For consecutive years the Crusaders wrap up the conference with Schreiner.
The Crusaders dropped their final road series last weekend at No. 1 Trinity University. Despite the outcomes, UD battled the top-ranked team nationally and 2016 NCAA Division III National Champions all three games. This included leading all three games, and forcing a late-inning tie in the seventh that resulted in an eventual walk-off allowed.
Dallas is 7-7 at home this season and has won its past two matchups there. The bats were hot in both, as the Crusaders reached double-digits in runs and combined for 29 runs. UD also picked up its only run-rule in conference against Austin College. In its lone home game this month, Dallas prevailed 18-4 in a non-conference win over Dallas Christian College.
- Nathan Patton (McKinney, Texas) ranks 18th in the country for DIII with a .457 batting average. That mark remains tops in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC). The third baseman also is top-three in the league for runs-batted-in (40).
- Jordan Stickler (Grand Rapids, Mich.) continues to lead the conference in stolen bases (24). He easily holds the team-high for walks (33) and is one hit behind Mark Peterson (Cincinnati, Ohio) for total hits with 31.
- Peterson has produced at least one RBI in his past six straight games and seven-of-eight.
- Zachary Taylor (Humble, Texas) has slashed a .429/.450/.686 in 11 games at home. He has produced four of his six doubles, lone triple, a home run, and 10 RBI at Crusader Field.
- Conrad Voss (Corona, Calif.) claimed Pitcher of the Week Honors for the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) after throwing his longest outing against Trinity last Saturday. He allowed just two earned runs and fanned five in 8.1 innings. Overall this year, he leads the pitching staff in strikeouts (47) and appearances (17).
BY THE NUMBERS
- All-Time Series: Dallas is 10-13, but have gone 8-3 since both teams joined the SCAC.
- Dallas won the series 2-1 last year in Kerrville: Game 1 (W, 9-0) | Game 2 (L, 8-7) | Game 3 (W, 10-5)
- The previous meeting in Irving was also a 2-1 series win in 2016. Dallas won both games by three runs, and fell in the middle game, 6-2.
A LOOK AT THE MOUNTAINEERS
- Schreiner has won its last three games, including upsetting No. 1 Trinity in 10 innings two weeks ago. The most recent victory was a 14-6 final at Howard Payne University on Tuesday.
- The Mountaineers are 7-9 in away games.
- Josh Gilliam paces the offense with 48 hits, eight doubles, and a .353 batting average.
- Jeffrey Williams (38), Sam Pistrui (34), Ben Benavides (33), and Reece Hohhertz (32) round out the quintet of players with at least 30 base knocks.
- Williams has belted four homers and driven in 29 runs for team-highs.
- Caleb Allen leads the staff with 16 appearances, 11 starts, 73.2 innings pitched, and 53 strikeouts. He holds a 4-7 record and spun a 6.23 ERA.
The University of Dallas baseball clubhouse has been completed. Special thanks to the UD Booster Club for its hard work fundraising to make the purchase of this facility possible. This building will serve as a locker room, player lounge for film, and coaches' offices.