HOW TO FOLLOW
Multimedia Coverage: Livestats/Video
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Basketball Twitter: @UDallasMBB
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Basketball Facebook: University of Dallas Basketball (Official)
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Basketball Instagram: udallasmbb
UD Basketball YouTube: Univeristy of Dallas Men's Basketball
The University of Dallas men's basketball team opens the 2018-19 campaign at Hendrix College on Thursday, November, 15. Tip-off is slated for 7:30 p.m. The Crusaders have won four of the last five season openers, including three on the road. During this same span, Dallas also faced its opponent on the road to open two of those matchups and splitting them. The most recent was an 89-88 OT thriller in 2016-17 that featured a game-tying three-pointer to force the extra period.
Dallas will spend the month away from the Maher Center with four games on the road – one being a neutral site at the Millsaps College. Head Coach Jarred Samples enters his 11th season with the Crusaders, who went 15-11 a year ago including an 8-6 record in Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) play to set a program-best since joining and tying for second place.
THREE THINGS TO KNOW FOR UD
- 10 newcomers fill out the Dallas roster this season.
- Despite a young roster of only four juniors or seniors, UD returns three of its top five scorers: Michael Wambsganss (Denver, Colo.), John Russell (Bossier City, La.), and Joshua Nunn (St. Louis, Mo.). Wambsganss averaged 12.7 points-per-game and was the team leader in made triples (69).
- The Crusaders went 7-6 on the road and 7-7 in contests away from the Maher Center in 2017-18.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Dallas is 16-17 overall against the Warriors but have won seven-of-eight meetings including the last five straight.
- UD raced to a 44-27 halftime advantage last year in Conway, which led to a 90-76 final.
- Wambsganss poured a game-high 20 points off 6-10 field goal shooting and 6-9 in three-pointers. He, Russell, Nunn, Isaiah Hayes (Arlington, Texas), and Ben Norton (Louisville, Ky.) appeared in that contest that are on the squad this season.
SCOUTING THE WARRIORS
- Hendrix (0-1) fell at University of Texas at Dallas last Saturday and were topped by NCAA Division II Arkansas-Fort Smith on Tuesday.
- The Warriors host UD for their home opener, which they earned four of their seven wins at.
- Carl Fitch produced a team-best 14 points in the lone counted game of the season.
- Hendrix did well at the free throw line shooting 22-of-26 against the Comets.
- Hendrix is a member of the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) and one of two opponets UD faces on the docket this year from that conference.
Dallas begins a busy stretch with three games next week starting with a road matchup at University of the Ozarks on Nov. 20. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. After that, UD participates in two games during the Millsaps College Thanksgiving Tournament on the 24th and 25th, respectively.