HOW TO FOLLOW
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Basketball Twitter: @UDallasMBB
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Basketball Facebook: University of Dallas Basketball (Official)
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Basketball Instagram: udallasmbb
UD Basketball YouTube: Univeristy of Dallas Men's Basketball
The University of Dallas men's basketball team is back on the court this Saturday and Sunday for a pair of non-conference games. The Crusaders (1-3) look to put behind November with their first home games of the 2018-19 season.
These contests feature opponents that Dallas has already met once this season, including a consecutive matchup with its home-opening opponent, Millsaps College. The Crusaders fell 91-63 in their most recent outing at Millsaps.
BLUE CHRISTMAS FOOD AND TOY DRIVE
The UD Athletics Department is partnering with Irving Police Department and Irving Fire Department this year and is asking fans for support this weekend. The Crusaders will be collecting food items and toys at all the home games this weekend.
On Saturday, December 1, the women's basketball team plays at 5:30 p.m. with the men's team tipping off about 20 minutes after. On Sunday, Dec. 2, the men's team plays at 3 p.m.
A list of food items and toys we are looking to help collect at the games this weekend: pic.twitter.com/yQ78UyeRYS— Univ. of Dallas Men's Basketball (@UDallasMBB) November 28, 2018
THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT UD
- John Russell (Bossier City, La.) is shooting 59.1 percent from the field for third-best in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC). He is averaging 10.3 points, which rounds out the top trio of UD players averaging double figures. Michael Wambsganss (Bossier City, La.) and Joshua Nunn (St. Louis, Mo.) are averaging 12.5 and 12.0, respectively.
- Dallas is shooting 76.6 percent at the free throw line with a 95-for-124 mark. Dallas has made 19 or more free throws in each game, with three different players (Nunn, Letrell Toussaint (Waco, Texas), and Russell) recording double-digits from the line in one of the three games.
- The Crusaders posted an 8-4 record at the Maher Center a year ago and have sported a winning record each season since 2011-12. They have won at least seven games each season in that stretch.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Crusaders prevailed at home in their opener against the Majors last year 73-68.
- Dallas edged Hendrix College in the Maher Center 89-78 last season. Wambsganss poured in 32 points on 10-12 shooting and 5-7 in three-pointers.
- UD has defeated the Warriors at home in the past five meetings. This includes the last four years.
A LOOK AT THE OPPONENTS
- The Majors (6-0) are on a six-game winning streak to start the season. Four of the wins have been against Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) foes.
- Have a Friday matchup at Austin College that will be their first true road game after four at home and two on a neutral site.
- Coming off a 70-55 victory over Centenary College.
- Top scorers are: Michael Sullivan (70 points, 11.7 ppg), She'Chem Grant (48, 8.0), and Saxton Becker (47, 7.8).
- Millsaps as a team has outrebounded opponents 282-204 with the top player being Justin Van Pelt with 38 total and 6.3 per contest.
- The Warriors (3-3) have won one of the past four games. The most recent was a 72-54 loss to University of Texas at Tyler on Thursday.
- Hendrix is 0-2 away from the friendly confines.
- Hendrix has gone 2-1 against SCAC opponents, with its lone loss decided by a point to Austin College (70-69).
- Seth Stanley (13.6 ppg) and Carl Fitch (10.6) are the top scorers averaging double figures. Fitch is the leader on the boards with 46 total (6.6) and has added 11 blocks.
- Kam Brasfield and Jacob link each have dished a team-high 19 assists, which HC holds a 71-65 edge over opponents.
Dallas wraps up the early non-conference schedule with future SCAC opponent University of St. Thomas at their place on December 5 at 7 p.m.