HOW TO FOLLOW
UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
UD Basketball Twitter: @UDallasMBB
UD Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
UD Basketball Facebook: University of Dallas Basketball (Official)
UD Instagram: udallasathletics
UD Basketball Instagram: udallasmbb
The University of Dallas men's basketball team hosts Southwestern University on Saturday, January 12. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m. The Crusaders (4-8, 3-2 SCAC) have won three straight games – all against conference opponents. The recent upswing has them as one-of-four teams above .500 in conference play and seeded in third place based on win percentage. UD does have the longest active winning streak of the SCAC teams right now.
Last week, the Crusaders began the new year with a 73-64 victory over Trinity University to begin a three-game home swing. Dustin Mathis (Fort Worth, Texas) scored the first nine Crusader points and finished with a career-best 19. Logan Fruhwirth (Waynesville, Ohio) tossed in 16, while Michael Wambsganss (Denver, Colo.) chipped in 15 points and a personal-best 10 rebounds for his first ever double-double. The sophomore guard also nailed a half-court three at the end of the first half to cap an 11-1 run that lifted UD to a 10-point halftime edge.
THREE THINGS TO KNOW FOR UD
- Fruhwirth continues to be the team's top scorer in league play with 15.8 points-per-game (ppg). He ranks atop the SCAC in three-point percentage (56.0%) and second in field goal percentage (58.1%)
- During the win streak, Wambsganss has combined for 52 points, 23 boards, three steals, and seven assists. He is averaging 11.4 points overall and in conference games.
- Dallas has shot 45 percent or better in each game during this current streak and are a perfect 4-0 on the season when hitting the mark.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
BY THE NUMBERS
- All-time series favors Southwestern 39-18.
- Team's split the season series last year with the road team prevailing each occasion.
- Dallas couldn't cut a 14-point halftime deficit at the Maher Center last season despite piling in 53 second half points in a 95-88 result. John Russell (Bossier City, La.) leads returners from that game with 13 points, while Joshua Nunn (St. Louis, Mo.) and Wambsganss added 11 apiece.
SCOUTING THE PIRATES
- Southwestern holds a 7-6 overall record but are unbeaten in the SCAC with four victories.
- SU has won two straight, knocking off league foes Centenary College (80-69) and Schreiner University (68-65).
- The Pirates are 1-5 in road games this season.
- Brandon Alexander leads the team and sits fourth in the SCAC with 14.5 ppg. He won Conference Player of the Week last week.
- Luke Hicks (11.2 ppg), Ryan Wheeler (10.5), and Kyle Howard (10.0) complete a quartet of double-digit scorers.
- Joel Martinez finds himself within the top five of the SCAC leaderboard with a 56.1 field goal percentage (3rd) and 41.9 three-point field goal percentage (4th). Teammate Howard claims third with a 45.2 field goal mark from three-point land.
Dallas ends a six-game stretch of SCAC matchups by hosting local opponent Arlington Baptist University on Tuesday at 7 p.m. That game also finishes the home stand. UD picks conference play back up on Jan. 18 and 19 at Texas Lutheran University and Southwestern University. Tips for the games are respectively at 7:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.