IRVING, Texas – The University of Dallas is the host site of the 2019 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) men's lacrosse tournament. On April 26, a semifinal match featuring the No. 2-seed Southwestern University and No. 3-seed Dallas will take place at 2 p.m. The winner will advance to face top-seeded Colorado College on Apr. 28 at 12 p.m.
The matches will be played at the home field of the UD men's lacrosse team, who are playing at that site for the second season since the Dallas soccer programs and lacrosse programs switched fields with upgrades last spring.
Seeding was determined by where teams ranked in the NCAA Division III on Monday. The Tigers hold the highest mark at 59.
- UD won 23-4 for its first NCAA DIII win at Johnson & Wales University (CO) last Saturday. Tucker Jameson (Mechanicsville, Md.) and Tyler Smith (Snoqualmie, Wash.) had 10 points, while Austin Gibbons (St. Charles, Ill.) followed with nine. Joshua McClendon (Redondo Beach, Calif.) broke his own faceoff wins record with 19.
- The Crusaders are hosting their first SCAC men's lacrosse tournament and likewise making their first appearance in a conference tournament. This is the first year the SCAC is hosting a men's lacrosse tournament, with the last in 2014.
- Dallas is in its eighth season as a program. Head coach Keith Loftis joined the UD coaching staff as the fifth person at the helm of the program in January 2019.
- Five players on the current roster have matched or surpassed an individual game, season, or career school record. Four of the players hold a top spot, with another just off the current high mark.
- Jameson is the leader in the stats with 43 points and 34 goals. Those totals and nine assists are personal-bests. He is also 54-for-67 on shots on target and has held steady to an 80.6 shots on goal percentage.
- Smith follows with a personal-best 30 goals and seven assists for 37 points. He is the all-time leader in goals (75) and points (98).
- Gibbons ranks second on the team in points (38) thanks to 14 assists. Jake Frederick (Coppell, Texas) has logged career-highs in goals (18) and assists (15) – a single-season record.
- Bogar Trout III (Tecumseh, Mich.) is the leader on the team with 14 caused turnovers. He has also contributed 29 ground balls. Trout III recently tied the career caused turnovers record (48).
- Hector Pinell-Sanchez (Manor, Texas) has combined for 72 saves on the year, and has started the previous six games in his first spring as a goalie.
- In the earlier match a couple weeks ago in a 25-6 setback against the Pirates in Georgetown, Gibbons led the Crusaders with three goals. Jameson scored and assisted a pair of goals. Smith and Frederick had the other goals, while Sanchez made 13 saves.
- The Pirates enter with the best record in the tournament going 9-6. This includes 4-3 in away matches and 0-1 on neutral sites.
- Southwestern last played an exhibition with Centenary College on Apr. 19. The last countable game was hosting Dallas.
- They won last season, 20-7, on the new lacrosse site for this tournament's matches.
- Southwestern prevailed to keep its unbeaten streak going to eight against UD few weeks ago. Benjamin Libby, Everett Barger, Jared Welsh, and Kai Knight-Turcan netted hat-tricks, as 13 different players scored.
- Knight-Turcan leads all players with 45 goals.
- Zach Asbury has compiled 92 points for the team-lead thanks to an astounding 55 assists.
- Logan Spalding, Welsh, Libby, and Barger wrap up the sextet of SU players with at least 20 scoring results.
- The Pirates average 17.60 goals-per game to lead the league and have total 264 goals.
- Kyle Kuberski has been the starter in goalie with a 12.22 goals-against average and 50.8 save percentage. He has made 120 saves in 569:28 minutes. Alex Melitz has stopped 51 shots and produced 245:02 minutes.
- The Tigers sit at .500 with a 7-7 mark, but hold the highest NCAA DIII ranking in the field.
- The Tigers have not won a match away from the friendly confines this season (includes 0-1 in neutral sites).
- Dropped the past four matches to No. 14 Williams College and then Washington College, Western New England, and most recently Connecticut College as part of a three-game road trip.
- The Tigers are the reigning SCAC Tournament Champions and have won the last four-of-five years it had been hosted (2014, 2013, 2011, 2010).
- The offense has scored 187 goals, while defensively holding opponents to 176 this season.
- Tyler Borko is the leader offensively with 56 points thanks to 24 goals and 32 assists. He has taken 112 shots.
- Coby Petau is atop the squad in goals scored with 26. John Sutro and Max Rieser have also eclipsed 20 scores with 24 and 23, respectively.
- Jacob Rogers and Parker Woo are the main forces in the faceoff circle with an 89-174 and 70-140, respectively, Rogers has garnered a team-high 57 ground balls.
- Andrew Harwood has played 12 matches in goal and totaled 628:10 minutes. He has a 52.0 save percentage with 130 total and 7-5 record for goalie decisions. Harwood also has an 11.46 goals-allowed average.