IRVING, Texas – The University of Dallas softball team dropped a pair of games on Sunday to Hendrix College. In game one, the Crusaders were unable to come back and fell 5-3. The second contest resulted in a 10-0 final through five innings.
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Team Scores: Hendrix College (5), University of Dallas (3)
Team Records: Hendrix (3-0), Dallas (0-3)
Pitching Records: W) Stockalper (2-0), L) Lee (0-2)
- Melanie Savala (Bryan, Texas) tripled for her 1-for-3 with an RBI and run scored. She had crossed the plate in three consecutive games counting this one.
- Jade Miller (Plano, Texas) scored a run and added a knock.
- Britin Strobel (Parker, Colo.) rounded out the hits.
- Alexandria Compte (Houston, Texas) drew two-of-four UD walks.
- Katie Lee (Houston, Texas) went the distance allowing five runs on 11 hits. She walked four and struck out a season-high six. Her strikeout total is the most since 2015 when she fanned seven against Cazenovia College (Mar. 11).
- Victoria Hughes led Hendrix with a 3-for-4 day and an RBI and run scored.
- Karli Sewell legged out a pair of triples for both knocks and all HC's extra base hits.
- Sydney Ozersky added the other multi-hit game and drove in a run along with a run scored.
- Emily Stockalper earned the win going a complete game and allowing three runs and hits. She walked four and fanned eight.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams got on the board in the first inning. The Warriors took an early advantage 1-0 with no hits earned in the frame. Hughes led off with a walk and then Bryanna Carlisle was hit by pitch. After Sewell sacrificed bunted, Ozersky would reach by being hit and then Taylor Oglesby walked in the run with the bases loaded. UD's Lee induced a force out at home from third baseman Savala, and then an out on a ball hit to left to strand everyone at a bag.
The Crusaders immediately responded in the bottom half of the first, taking their first lead of the contest with a pair of runs etched. Miller started with a leadoff single to right. She advanced to second on a groundout the next play, and then Savala beat out a triple to right center that plated Miller. Savala scampered home on an RBI-groundout by Stephanie Cervantes (Temecula, Calif.).
Hendrix regained its lead for good by posting three runs in the third. Sewell started the inning with a triple off the center field wall. Ozersky singled her in to knot it at two. Oglesby followed with a single and the pair of runners moved to scoring position on a grounder back to the pitcher. Savala snared a lineout by Nikki Sanders for out number two, but a walk loaded the bases and was followed by an Aubrey Bring single down left field line to make it 4-2.
In the bottom of the 4th, Dallas cut into the gap making it 4-3 with a run. Shannon Sheeley (Cedar Hill, Texas) pinch ran and later scored from third on a caught stealing at second base that nabbed Mackenzie Tano (Wylie, Texas).
The visitors countered with a run in the next turn to bat as Hughes singled to left center to drive in Stockalper. However, with the bases still loaded and one out, Carlisle grounded out to Savala who stepped on third and threw across to first for the inning-ending double play.
Dallas could not carry the momentum over offensively in the last two innings, producing one baserunner in the sixth on a hit by pitch. Tera Espinosa (Caldwell, Texas) entered to run for Cervantes, and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt for the second out but would be left there.
Stockalper did not allow another UD base hit through the final 16 batters. Strobel had the final one in the second at bat of the 4th with no outs. She recorded five of her eight strikeouts during that span.
GAME TWO INFORMATION
Team Scores: Hendrix College (10), Dallas (0)
Team Records: Hendrix (4-0), Dallas (0-4)
Pitching Records: W) Donahoe (1-0) L) Morales (0-2)
- Miller continued her hitting streak to four games with a single.
- Savala added a hit in her 3rd straight game. She also drew the team's lone walk.
- Cervantes and Driskill produced the other hits for UD. Driskill has reached safely in every contest so far.
- Lety Morales (Fontana, Calif.) started and allowed three runs on a hit in 1.1 innings. She walked two and struck out 1.
- Lee tossed three innings of relief and allowed two runs on three hits while walking none.
- Hendrix logged nine hits and earned five walks.
- Sewell had three RBI, and Sanders also drove in two.
- Ozersky and Stockalper both went 2-for-3 with the only multi-hit games. Ozersky scored twice.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dallas got out of the first inning unscathed as Carlisle walked, stole second, and advanced to third on a wild pitch while Sewell was batting with an out. However, Sewell was called out by a violation of the lookback rule in softball. Ozersky struck out swinging as Morales got out with the score 0-0.
An eight-run inning in the 2nd was all Hendrix required to pick up the shutout. A six-hit inning was started on a double to center by Sanders for an RBI for the first run of the big frame. Billings was hit by a pitch that ended the day for Morales. Emily Martin (San Joes, Calif.) walked Brink before four straight knocks increased the edge for the Warriors. With the top of the order, Hughes started the quartet of hits with a single up the middle. Carlisle singled to left for an RBI. Sewell smacked the big hit to right field that was ruled in play after hitting near the top of the wall. That cleared the bases and made it 7-0.
Cervantes singled in the next half of the inning for UD's first hit. Alexandria Compte (Houston, Texas) was hit by a pitch to start the inning with two on, but they were stranded in scoring position later. UD placed a pair of runners in the 5th with Miller and Savala each reaching. But Dallas would not score and led to its fourth straight setback to start the early campaign.
Dallas continues a season-long, 10-game homestand two weeks later on February 26. Jarvis Christian College will visit for a doubleheader that begins at 1 p.m.