UD Twitter: @UDallasSports
Softball Twitter: @UDallasSoftball
Facebook: University of Dallas Athletics
The University of Dallas softball team plays its first road games of 2017 after a 10-game homestand. The Crusaders are 2-8 this season and will visit LeTourneau University. First pitch of the Wednesday night doubleheader is set for 5 p.m.
The Crusaders are coming off a split last Saturday with Southwestern Assemblies of God University. After falling 4-2 in game one, Dallas rallied down 5-1 in its last at bat to walk-off with a 6-5 triumph. Three wild pitches happened that inning, including two in one at bat that allowed pinch runner Shannon Sheeley (Cedar Hill, Texas) to score the game-winning run.
- Jade Miller (Plano, Texas) remains the team's top performer in most hitting stats with a .464 batting average, 13 hits, two doubles, seven runs scored, six stolen bases, and two home runs.
- Melanie Savala (Bryan, Texas) follows with a .375 batting clip and nine hits. She has ripped two-of-three triples by the team (Miller other) and is 3-for-4 in stolen bases.
- Katelyn Lazarek (Seattle, Wash.) is other player with at least three steals and is perfect in attempts.
- Makenzie Tano (Wylie, Texas) posted two hits in two-of-three games last week. She combined for three ribbies, including two in Saturday's win. She also scored a pair, which gave her five and tied her second with Savala for second on the team.
- The Crusaders as a team are 21-for-25 in stolen bags. They are hitting .248 and have walked a combined 19 times.
SCOUTING THE YELLOW JACKETS
- Since winning 3-of-4 games to start the campaign, LeTourneau University has dropped 11 in a row.
- The Yellow Jackets are 1-6 on the road. This past weekend, LETU was swept by University of Texas at Dallas (8-7, 5-0, and 6-1) on the road.
- The past three opponents for the Yellow Jackets have been teams ranked at some point this season, including top ranked University of Texas at Tyler.
- Shelby Barrick is hitting .378 and has team-highs in hits (14), home runs (2), and RBIs (8).
- Macey Mize is the other player batting at or above .300 and has 12 knocks. She, Whitney Judd, Kelsi Coleman, and Bailey Woodard each have a pair of doubles.
- Mize (12), Judd (11), Ashlin Roach (11), and Courtney Matulis (10) complete the top five hitters on the squad.
- In the circle, Ashley Burdine has made 10 appearances (six starts). She is tied with the team-lead for innings pitched (35) along with Faith Genoway. Courtney Matulis has also factored into three decisions (1-2) through six appearances (three starts).
- Dallas is 11-15 in the overall series against LETU.
- Last season the Crusaders hosted a doubleheader and split. They lost 9-2 in game one and prevailed 8-2 in the nightcap.
- In the win, Stephanie Cervantes posted a 2-for-3 game with a career-high five RBI. She homered and doubled. Savala scored twice. Lee pitched a complete game and scattered six hits for two runs while walking none. She struck out one.
- Allison Kotlar (Edna, Texas) did triple in the setback.
Dallas begins Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) play at Trinity University on March 11-12. The series is four games long (pair of doubleheaders). Saturday's double dip begins at 1 p.m. and the second day will start at 12 p.m.